Friday 23 August 2019

Final West End Wishes


So here we are. Tomorrow, Disney's Aladdin will take its final magic carpet ride in the West End. And what a carpet ride it has been. Even though we've known this was coming for almost a year, it's only really hit me this week. Preparing to see the show one last time and seeing the outpouring of love between the cast across social media, I'm reminded of just how special this show really is.

From first preview to closing night this has been an incredible journey. I won't say too much now. I know I'll have plenty to post after tomorrow's closing performance, but I just wanted to take a moment to reflect and be thankful for everything this show has given me over the years, the friends we have made, the experiences we've shared. It truly has been a wish come true.

If you count the shows in wishes then we have 3 left. 3 wishes. I can't help but think that's fitting. Part of me wishes I could freeze time tomorrow, keep the show just as it is. But part of the beauty of live theatre is that it exists in the moment. I'm so glad to have shared in this one. And now it's time to say goodbye, or salaam, enjoy the magic once more, and look to the future. Because for each and every talented performer on that stage the future is bright and I'm excited to see what it has in store.

And for Aladdin in the UK? I'm sure this isn't the last we've seen of our favourite street rat and his friends. It may be a while but I'm optimistic we'll see a tour or revival one day. It's too good not to. The show says it best; "Salaam worthy friend, come back soon, that's the end. Till another Arabian Night."

No comments:

Post a Comment